Friday, October 23, 2009

People, groups, and organizations

Surfrider
http://www.surfrider.org/
Someone who can talk about how the pollution affects the life that surrounds it (people or marine life), to answer the subquestion "how does it pollute us?"

Heal The Bay
http://www.healthebay.org/
They do a lot of beach cleanups and water monitoring, so maybe someone can tell us about how polluted the water gets and how long it takes to clean it up or what ways it can be prevented. This can answer two of the subquestions.

Point Loma Wastewater Treatment Plant: Doug Campbell
http://www.sandiego.gov/mwwd/facilities/ptloma.shtml
Last year he taught the Sewer Science lab in 10th grade, and I thought he'd be a good person to interview and ask about sewage spills. He can probably answer my essential question.

---

The Point Loma Wastewater Treatment Plant is run by the government, I think, and a lot of their sewage might affect the ocean waters. I might interview Doug Campbell, who teaches a program about how sewage is cleaned up at the plant. He might influence my project.

Think Blue might be another government run agency that would probably influence my project. Their mission involved reducing storm drain pollution. Maybe my product can help their program.

The San Diego City council might be put into consideration as well. I've been thinking for a while about ways to influence or motivate people to go to beach cleanups or help organizations like Heal the Bay so that it would be beneficial to them, and I thought, "What if there could be a tax reduction or something? If people cleaned up the beach and got something out of it, maybe they would do it more often." So if I can further this idea to reduce pollution, and find a way to present it to the council, they might pass it.

No comments:

Post a Comment